Seriously though, if you think that Halloween is a big deal in the states, it's nothing compared to Ireland. Pretty much every store has some sort of Halloween decor, from cobweb-swept doorframes to mannequins dressed up as zombies. And for those of you who look down on American holiday commercialism, at least you can rest assured it exists overseas as well. Needless to say, I'm very pumped for this weekend. I am currently piecing together a costume that is something like a neon-colored monster...anticipate some great pictures.
I am currently sitting in my apartment enjoying the fifth day of my break from school, which started Friday and continued unexpectedly through today, when I arrived at class at 10:00 only to discover it had been cancelled so the other kids could prep for presentations in the next class which I'm not in. Upon learning this, I left campus, got hot chocolate, and went costume shopping. Just another day at Trinity ;)
As for last Friday, at 9:00 in the morning I went on my first real train ride (i.e. not the amusement park kind) to Belfast, capital of Northern Ireland. Unfortunately, I forgot my passport (N. Ireland is part of the UK - a separate country, for those of you who weren't aware). Fortunately, passing from the Republic of Ireland into Northern Ireland is about as big of a deal as going from Oklahoma to Texas, except you have to change your currency from euros to sterlings. Arriving at the Belfast train station commenced a weekend that can only be described as epic and beautiful - 168 pictures now on facebook - if you have the chance to glance through them, it's well worth it. Our first event (after lunch at the historic Crown Liquor Saloon) was a black cab tour of the Protestant and Catholic neighborhoods in some of the most violent/troubled areas of the city. We visited the "Peace Wall," a barrier between the neighborhoods erected after the start of the "Troubles" back in the 70's, because Protestants and Catholics kept having outbreaks of violence and burning out each others' houses. The cab drivers had to get permission from the militant groups on both sides before being allowed to take people on these tours, without a fear of getting attacked...
After Belfast we hopped on a charter bus which somehow managed to navigate the tiny, winding roads of the countryside to take us to the seaside town of Portrush where we stayed the next two nights. From here, we took day trips to the Carrick-a-Rede bridge (a tiny rope bridge suspended high above a gap between two rocks over the ocean), the Bushmills Distillery (oldest distillery in the world), and the Giants Causeway (hills of strange polygon-shaped rock columns that make great fun for climbing). The second day featured Dunluce Castle - an old medieval castle right on the edge of an cliff, with an awesome pirates cove - and Glenariff National Park, which was full of green mossy trees, waterfalls, and lots of cloverleafs (no four-leafed ones though, unfortunately). I could go into so much more detail, but I would end up writing a novel, so your best bet is just to take a look at the pictures if you're interested: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2071484&id=1304250202&l=5be33d8aea
We got back Sunday evening and then had Monday off for a Bank Holiday (which is oddly ironic, considering the trouble the banks have gotten Ireland into over the past few years...). However, if that wasn't exciting enough, I also went to the store and bought hair dye and am now sitting at my computer with dark brown hair (technically, "Bitter Chocolate"). I had it cut too, thanks to my lovely friend Anna downstairs who apparently does this all the time. I just wanted to give you all a heads up so you won't be shocked to see me looking different in upcoming Halloween photos. It's not just the lighting.
On that note, I hope everyone has a lovely holiday. I will be celebrating it 6 hours earlier than most of you, so I'll let you all know how this year's measures up. Cheers!
We got back Sunday evening and then had Monday off for a Bank Holiday (which is oddly ironic, considering the trouble the banks have gotten Ireland into over the past few years...). However, if that wasn't exciting enough, I also went to the store and bought hair dye and am now sitting at my computer with dark brown hair (technically, "Bitter Chocolate"). I had it cut too, thanks to my lovely friend Anna downstairs who apparently does this all the time. I just wanted to give you all a heads up so you won't be shocked to see me looking different in upcoming Halloween photos. It's not just the lighting.
On that note, I hope everyone has a lovely holiday. I will be celebrating it 6 hours earlier than most of you, so I'll let you all know how this year's measures up. Cheers!
Well, after reading that once, I decided to have a hot chocolate and read it again! I didn't realize you had never been on a real train...and I noticed that the shamrocks in the national park in your pictures are heart shaped :) whereas the one in my kitchen has triangular leaves...I bought mini-reeses to hand out on halloween this year in your honor...have fun dressing up and thanks for the lovely post!
ReplyDelete