Hello to all you Americans! I don't know any Irish greetings yet, but they're sure to come. That title refers to the glorious discovery I made when grocery shopping yesterday, as most foods I bought were somewhat experimental in nature...
I'm finally starting to get over that lovely feeling we call jet lag. Yesterday, I touched down in Dublin at 7:00 local time, which was 1:00 in the morning back in Springfield, so needless to say I was pretty out of it by the time I finally crashed at 11:30 that evening, having been up for approximately 40 hours. Dublin is beautiful though (as I discovered from our 5 hour walking tour getting lost finding groceries and a cell phone store). Beautiful in an old-style way. All of the street signs are in Irish (as well as English), which I can't pronounce but looks very fancy, and there's a canal that runs right through the neighborhood which is just picturesque. Pictures to come soon (hopefully!)
I've already visited my first pub: "The Bloody Horse." Weird name, neat place. I had some delicious Irish soda bread, and got to hear all the locals cheering on the football (soccer) match on TV.
Tomorrow begins the Semester Startup Program, a three-week series of classes on Irish history and culture, after which comes Fresher's Week (freshman orientation) with parties and course registration, and then Trinity classes start the week after. I'm thinking about signing up for some Irish dance classes if I can find any...
I'm off to a welcome dinner (i.e. pizza) at Trinity for international students. Hope all you back in the Lou have a lovely first week of classes! I'll send some of the nice, chilly Irish weather your way.
I went to Target today, and they had like two hundred varieties of creamy peanut butter. I feel like they can't really call anything "American style" unless they offer at least 10 practically-identical varieties of it. You should tell them that at the Irish grocery store.
ReplyDeleteIs "Irish" a language, or is the language called "Gaelic"? I can't remember...
I also took a beautiful walking tour, but mine was of that new European ski resort south of campus. It's ridiculous, with a capital R, so I guess that would be Ridiculous. Or if you're in the Great Hall, err I mean the College Hall, it would be Riddikulus.
Miss you mucho,
Em
Keep your eyes open for a Chinese restaurant offering "Springfield Style" cashew chicken. You never know...
ReplyDeleteLoved "Skyping" with you yesterday! Aunt Mindy and I teased about the Jetsons cartoon we watched as kids, and their "picture phone" -- the original web cam...
I'm so glad the name of the pub you visited wasn't indicative of the food it served! Even you aren't that adverturesome on trying new foods...
Can't wait to see pictures, and I'm excited to hear about the Semester Start Up program.
Love you,
Dad